Can You Wear AirPods in the Shower? What You Need to Know
No, it’s not recommended to wear AirPods in the shower. They are water-resistant, not waterproof. The steam and water will likely damage them.
Wouldn’t it be nice to enjoy your favorite tunes or catch up on podcasts while taking a refreshing shower? I can’t be the only one who wants to do this.
In this post, we dive into the details of AirPods and their water-resistance capabilities, explore whether it’s safe to wear them in the shower, and discuss the potential risks.
We also provide guidance on what to do if your AirPods get wet. Whether you’re an AirPods Pro user or an AirPods Max wearer, this guide will answer the question: “Can you wear AirPods in the shower?”
Understanding AirPods’ Water Resistance
AirPods are designed with a certain level of water resistance, which is a common feature in many modern electronic devices. This feature protects the device from minor water splashes or sweat during workouts. But it’s is important to know that they are not waterproof.
Let’s briefly explore the distinction between water resistance and being waterproof and how it relates to AirPods:
- Water-Resistant: A water-resistant device can handle minor splashes of water or sweat but isn’t designed to be submerged in water. AirPods fall into this category.
- Waterproof: A waterproof device can be fully submerged in water for certain periods without suffering damage. Unfortunately, AirPods are not waterproof
Can You Wear AirPods in the Shower?
The straightforward answer to this question is no. While AirPods have a water resistance feature, they’re not built to withstand the steam from a sauna or direct water exposure in a shower.
The steam or water could potentially seep into the AirPods, damaging the internal components, and impacting their performance. This can lead to issues like reduced sound quality or even total device failure.
Risks of Using AirPods in the Shower
There are several risks associated with using AirPods in the shower:
- Internal Damage: Exposure to steam can cause water to seep into the AirPods, potentially damaging the electronic components inside.
- Sound Quality Degradation: The water can affect the speaker membranes, leading to decreased sound quality.
- Battery Life Reduction: Water exposure could affect the battery, causing it to drain faster or not hold a charge as long.
- Risk to Personal Safety: Electronics and water are a hazardous combination. Although the risk is minimal with low-powered devices like AirPods, it’s still better to be safe than sorry.
- Potential Ear Health Issues: Regularly exposing your ears to moisture can create a conducive environment for bacteria, leading to potential ear infections.
What to Do If Your AirPods Get Wet
If your AirPods accidentally get wet, there are a few steps you can take to mitigate potential damage:
- Dry Them Immediately: Wipe off the water with a soft, dry, lint-free cloth.
- Avoid Heat: Do not use a hairdryer or place them near a heater to dry. Excessive heat can cause further damage.
- Leave Them to Air Dry: Let your AirPods air dry in a warm, dry area with good airflow. Do not attempt to use them until they’re completely dry.
- Check the Charging Case: If the charging case gets wet, keep it open and place it upside down to air dry.
- Consult Apple Support: If your AirPods start malfunctioning after getting wet, it’s best to consult with Apple Support for further assistance.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can you wear AirPods in the rain?
AirPods are water-resistant and can likely handle a bit of rain. However, they should not be exposed to heavy rain or submerged in water.
What happens if my AirPods get wet?
If your AirPods get wet, wipe them off with a dry cloth and let them air dry completely before using them again.
Can AirPods survive a washing machine?
While some users have reported their AirPods surviving a trip through the washing machine, it’s not likely. The water and heat can damage the electronics inside.
Will Apple replace my AirPods if they get water damaged?
Apple’s warranty does not cover water damage. It’s best to avoid getting your AirPods wet whenever possible.
What do I do if my AirPods got wet and now they’re not working?
If your AirPods stop working after getting wet, try drying them out completely. If they still don’t work, contact Apple Support.
Can you wear AirPods Pro in the shower?
No, it’s not recommended to wear AirPods Pro in the shower. While they have a higher water-resistance rating than the original AirPods, they’re not waterproof and can be damaged by water and steam.
Can you wear AirPods Max in the shower?
No, the AirPods Max are not recommended for use in the shower. They are not water-resistant and can be damaged by exposure to water and steam.
Ken is a Data Analyst in the Healthcare industry and the owner and sole contributor to The Wearable Guy.